What is aromatherapy?
Aromatherapy is the use of essential oils gutting from plants for healing. The word “aroma” definitely makes it sound like the oils are to be inhaled, this oils can also be massaged into the skin, and they are also taking by mouth, but they are very rear. Make sure never to take essential oils by mouth except with specific instructions from a trained and qualified specialist. These treatment is gaining a very strong ground and attention as an alternative treatment for stress, infections, and other related health problems. But this is still lacking some scientific evidence.
What is an essential oils?
Essential oils: these are concentrated extracts which are gutting from the roots, seeds, blossoms, or leaves of plants. Each of the oil contains its mix of active ingredients, and the combination tells what the oil will be used for. Some are used for the promotion of physical healing such as treatment of swellings or fungal infection. Others may also be used for their emotional values such as enhancing relaxation and making a room smell welcoming.
History of aromatherapy?
These oils have been used for therapeutic purposes for almost 6,000 years. From the ancient Chinese, the Greeks, Indians, and the Romans used them for perfumes, cosmetics, and also for drugs. They were also used for spiritual, hygienic, ritualistic, and therapeutic purposes.
But of recent, Rene-Maurice Gattefosse, who is a French chemist discovered the healing elements of lavender oil when it was applied to a burn he had on his hand which was caused by an explosion in his Lab. Which pushed him to start analyses on the chemical properties of essential oils and they were used to treat the skin infection, burns, gangrene, and injuries from soldiers during the world war I. back in 1928, Gattefosse started the science of aromatherapy. By 1950 nurses, doctors, massage therapists, physiotherapists, beauticians, and some other health care providers started using aromatherapy.
But it did not become popular and well known in the United States until 1980. But today, a lot of candles, lotions, and many beauty products are sold as aromatherapy. But some of these products contain synthetic fragrance which does not have same properties as essential oils.
How does aromatherapy work?
Researchers are not totally sure about how it works. Most of the professionals have the belief that our sense of smell may play a role. The smell receptors in our noses communicate with parts of our brain which serve as storehouses for our emotions and memories. When we breathe in some essential oil particles, most researchers believe that they stimulate does part of the brain which influences emotional, physical, and our mental health. Some researchers believe that lavender stimulates the activity of the brain cells in the amygdala which is related to the way most sedative medications work. And others believe that essential oil molecules interact in the blood, hormones or enzymes.
Aromatherapy massage is a popular way of using essential oils because it works in several ways at the same time. Your skin absorbs essential oils, and you also breathe them in. Plus, you experience the physical therapy of the message itself.
Aromatherapy Health Benefits
Some health benefits of aromatherapy include the ability to ease depression, reduce anxiety, speeds up the healing process, eliminate headaches, boost energy levels, induce sleep, boost cognitive performance, strengthen the immune system, improve digestion, reduce pain, and increases circulation.
- RELIEF STRESS: one of the most popular and widespread uses of aromatherapy is for stress relief. Aromatic compounds found in most essential oils are known to be relaxants and helps in the soothing of the mind and clears out anxiety.
- Antidepressant Capacity: closely related to stress, aromatherapy is also used to eliminate depression, because of the bad said effects of pharmaceutical antidepressants, it is a very important use of aromatherapy.
- Memory: one of the wide spreading diseases which affects the older people is memory loss and inability to put together short-term memories. Alzheimer’s is considered as an incurable disease, but there are few ways of reducing or slowing down the progression of the illness. And aromatherapy is a saver and alternative treatment for Alzheimer’s and dementia disease.
- Boost Energy Levels: we all need extra energy to get through our hectic days. But, stimulants such as cigarettes, energy pills, coffee, and also illegal substances has great damaging effects on our body. Dieting and exercise are also a very good source of energy, but a lot of people prefer to go for aromatherapy to bust the step a little.
- Healing and Recovery: a lot of essential oils helps to increase the rate of healing all over the body. And this because of the increased oxygen and blood flow to the wounds and also other internal healings processes such as surgeries or illness. The anti-microbial elements of some essential oils help to keep the body protected in the healing stage.
- Headaches: we all have headaches once in a while, and some are very bad. Instead of putting all hopes on pharmaceuticals or spending a lot of money on expensive massages, you can simply go for aromatherapy solutions which will not only eliminate a headache, but will help to reduce stress, anxiety, and also the medical origin of a headache to prevent future reoccurrence.
- Immune System: just as many medical experts will say “prevention is better than cure.” Aromatherapy gives a serious boost to the immune system when used in the right way.
- Pain Relief: analgesics have a lot of side effects on the body, even do they relieve you of your pain. So, if aromatherapy is capable of relieving dozens of deferent pains, I see no reason why you should not take advantage of it. One of the best uses of aromatherapy is pain relief.
- Digestion: though this has not been properly researched under aromatherapy, digestive problems can also be treated with aromatherapy. It is capable of easing indigestion, constipation, bloating, and it is also capable of speeding up metabolism to make food digest faster.
These were the normal ways of curing diseases not until medical science came into play and started formulating medications.
These listed remedies have proved to be very helpful and useful for a lot of health issues. Especially fish oil and niacin which are available as prescriptions.
- Vinegar helps to control appetite and helps to reduce blood sugar.
- Tea tannins which are present in tea is an antioxidant and help in the prevention of cancer.
- Fish Oil it is very useful for brain, skin, and heart health.
- Cinnamon it helps in the strengthening of the immune system.
- Ginseng it helps in increasing energy and blood flow.
- Niacin helps in reducing cholesterol better than most prescribed medications.
- Red Yeast Rice very effective at reducing overall cholesterol.
- Salt helps in elimination of bacteria and reduces inflammation.
- Lemons it is a potent antioxidant, which is full of collagen-forming vitamin C.
These are also called herbalism, which means a method of curing illness with the use of plant ingredients.
- Aloe Vera used for healing of burns.
- Artichoke help to reduce cholesterol level in the blood.
- Calendula helps to relieve cramps.
- Cranberry helps in the treatment of urinary infections.
- Echinacea helps to reduce the duration and severity of a common cold.
- Ginger helps to decrease nausea.
- Green tea contributes to slow down the development of cancer of the breast.
- Meadowsweet anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial uses.
- Peppermint oil helps in cases of irritable bowel syndrome.
- Valerian root helps in calming anxiety and reduces symptoms of insomnia.
- Willow bark anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial.